Looking for a fun way to up your toddler’s development and literacy? Enter cookie sheets!
That’s right the household, kitchen staple can turn into an amazing activity board. Boards can be carried from room to room and are great for traveling in the car, as well. No need to buy expensive magnet boards. A simple cookie sheet and some magnetic alphabet letters keeps little ones entertained and learning. Check out these ideas and tutorials…
DIY Kids Travel Activity Board (From The Mamas) via Sunny with a Chance of Sprinkles
- Baking sheet (I used an old one and bought a new one to replace it!)
- Chalkboard paint (I used Rust-Oleum Chalkboard paint)
- Paint brush
- Optional: Painters tape (I was going to leave the edges of the pan unpainted, but decided to paint them)
- Paint the baking pan with chalkboard paint.
- Attach a string + chalk so you’re not continuously searching for chalk in the car or elsewhere.
Visit the post for the full tutorial and added notes!
Print off some Alphabet Tracing Sheets, attach to the board, and add some magnetic creatures for each letter!
ABC Lots of Dots Alphabet Tracing Sheets, Teachers Pay Teachers
Or, how about practicing those colors?
Magnetic Color-Coded Buttons, The Monday Blog
I glued strips of colored cardstock together and attached magnets to the corners on the back. Then I simply chose five buttons of each coordinating color and stuck magnets to the back of these as well.
If your little one is ready for patterns, you can explore this caterpillar activity together…
Pom-poms, buttons, magnetic counting discs, or other manipulatives can be used to cover the patterned segments on the caterpillar bodies. ~TeachersPayTeachers
Rainbows work too!
Or, you can always go a bit more literal and let them “bake” cookies.
Vicky at Mess For Less had this brilliant idea of taking cookie pictures from magazines and turning them into kitchen play. This will be a great one for the holidays. While mom is baking real cookies, toddler can present these delightful ones…
Cookie Tray Craft
- Magazine photos of cookies (there are lots this time of year) or you can print out your own
- Glue stick
- Cookie Tray (I found mine at the dollar store.)
Check out the full post for directions with pictures! Cookie Tray Craft
Are these fabulous DIYs or what! Have another idea? Let’s hear it…